There are many such types of vegetables which seems similar to each other but are different with respect to genus and characteristics. Chives, Scallions, Shallots and Leeks are the best examples of such similar looking vegetables and many people cannot distinguish between them as a separate vegetable from each other. The reason is that, these vegetables are not only much alike in terms of shape but with respect to taste as well. To clear this confusion and prove them, separate species of plants, here is the difference between Chives, Scallions, Shallots and Leeks.
The key characteristic of chives is onion like taste, bulb different in shape than an onion. The stems and bulbs of chives are small and perfectly round. The origin of chives is North America, but these are widely available in Europe and Asia. The use of chives over the salad in small chopped shape is common.
Scallion is purely one of the famous specie of onion and commonly know as green onion. Care is very necessary before harvesting the chives means before developing bulb. The origin of scallion is china and these are used both in cooked and raw form in the form of salad.
Shallots are the very beautiful combination of onion and garlic. With respect to shape, shallots look similar to garlic due to their multi-bulbs and almost equal size bulbs. With respect to taste, shallots resemble to red onion. Due to these features, shallots are considered as a gourmet item in USA and Europe.
Leeks are one of the oldest vegetables which was also eaten by ancient Egyptians. These are not only good-looking, but impart great taste in the cooked recipe. This vegetable has origin Eastern Europe and Asia, but now it is beloved vegetable in USA as well.
Chives vs Scallions vs Shallots vs Leeks
All these vegetables which are known as Chives, Scallions, Shallots and Leeks have a very similar shape with little difference in size. You can say that chives have small and well-shaped round bulbs in contrast to scallions which have large and comparatively oval shaped bulbs. On the other hand, the shape of leeks is somewhat different than scallions with large leaves and bulbs. The shape of shallots looks close to garlic rather than chines, scallions and leeks. All these varieties are also different with respect to taste.
- What is the Difference between Groundnuts Almonds Cashews Peanuts and Tree Nuts
- What is the Difference between Regular, Green, White, Yellow and Spring Onion
- What is the Difference between Saturated and Unsaturated Fats
- What is the Difference between Yolk, Egg White and Whole Egg
- What is the Difference between Greek Yogurt and Regular Yogurt
- What is the Difference between Baking Soda and Baking Powder
- What is the Difference between Baker, Cook and Chef
- What is the Difference Between Lime, Orange, Citrus and Lemon
- What is the Difference between Pedialyte, Vitamin Water, Gatorade and Powerade