Mein is simply the Chinese word for noodles. During the cooking process, we would boil the noodles (Mein) till cooked, drained, then go to the following step "lo" or "chow" the noodles with other ingredients. Noodles can be cooked in different ways and on behalf of cooking method; they are categorized in different dishes. Chow Mein and Lo Mein are two different types of noodle dishes. Usually, people think that these two different types of dishes mean different types of noodles. This is not exact definition. Here are some key differences between Chow Mein and Lo Mein.
"Chow” means frying in wok “Mein” is noodle" so Chow Mein is fried noodle, it can be dry or with gravy with meat and vegetables. It is a stir-fried dish consisting of noodles, meat, onions and celery. There are two main kinds of chow Mein available in the market: 1) Steamed chow Mein, and 2) Crispy chow Mein. The steamed chow Mein has a softer texture, while the latter is crispier and drier. Crispy chow Mein uses fried, flat noodles, while soft chow Mein uses long, rounded noodles.
"Lo means mixing" so lo Mein refers to noodle cooked in a pot of hot water then mix into some cooked oil and sauce, then top with some ingredients like meat or vegetable. Lo Mein is a Chinese dish with wheat flour noodles. Lo Mein is a popular take-out food in American Chinese restaurants.
Chow Mein vs Lo Mein
The obvious difference between Chow Mein and Lo Mein is that prior is fried noodles, while later are cooked noodles. Chow noodles are cooked twice in the wok, but Lo Mein are pre-boiled and usually not cooked twice. Basically, the way the noodles are cooked makes the difference between these two types. In general Lo Mein is a soft noodle, while Chow Mein is a crunchy noodle.
- What is the Difference between Toasting Roasting Grilling Broiling Baking Frying Boiling
- What is the Difference between Cappuccino Americano Mocha Coffee and Espresso
- What is the Difference between Bread Flour and All Purpose Flour
- What is the Difference between Olive, Canola, Corn, Coconut and Vegetable Oil
- What is the Difference between Diet Coke, Sprite, 7up, Pepsi and Coca Cola
- What is the Difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke
- What is the Difference between Teriyaki Braggs Shoyu Tamari and Soy Sauce
- What is the Difference between Cranberry Blueberry Strawberry Raspberry and Blackberry
- What is the Difference between Butter and Margarine
- What is the Difference between Regular, Green, White, Yellow and Spring Onion