Water is the cradle of life. According to scientists, life started in water and even now no life is possible without water. Water is used for irrigation, cleaning and in many industries, but drinking is the most important use of water. We hear many names with respects to drinking water, like Mineral water, sparkling water, Soda and tonic water. These names are often very confusing for us. Let’s try to discover the difference between them.
When water is obtained from a mineral spring, it is called as mineral water. Naturally, it contains salts and sulfur compounds. In this past mineral water was used at their natural location. But in modern times, we can find it packed in sealed bottles. According to an estimated there are more than 3,000 brands of mineral water, all around the world. According to international classification, if water has 250ppm dissolved solids, and obtained from a secured underground source, it can be called as mineral water.
When carbon dioxide is dissolved in water, it is called as sparkling water. It was discovered accidently, in late 18th century. However, due to its pleasing taste, now it is readily available all over the world. The bubbles created by the dissolved carbon dioxide are really exciting and taste of water is really different.
Soda water is the other name used for sparkling water. In both cases, carbon dioxide gas is dissolved in water.
Tonic water is the named used for carbonated soft drink. In this water quinine is dissolved in water. This water was initially used as a medicine, especially to cure malaria. However, later lower quantities of quinine were added to make it bit pleasant. Tonic water is bitter in taste and usually, health conscious people use it.
Mineral vs Sparkling vs Soda vs Tonic Water
All these are different types of water, except sparkling and soda water, which are one and the same. Mineral water is obtained from natural underground sources, while all others have added ingredients. In sparkling water carbon dioxide gas is added, while in tonic water quinine is added. Mineral and soda water are pleasant in taste while tonic water has bitter taste. Mineral water is more commonly used than any other types of water. Soda water is mixed with other drinks to mild the taste of that drink.
- What is the Difference between Mocha Macchiato Espresso Cappuccino and Latte
- What is the Difference between Bread Flour and All Purpose Flour
- What is the Difference between Diet Coke, Sprite, 7up, Pepsi and Coca Cola
- What is the Difference between Jam, Jelly, and Preserves
- What is the Difference between Parsnip Swede Beet Radish Turnip And Rutabaga
- What is the Difference between Yellow Jasmine Basmati Wild White and Brown Rice
- What is the Difference between Yams and Sweet Potatoes
- What is the Difference between Margarine, Shortening and Lard
- What is the Difference between Muffins Desserts Biscuits Cookies Cupcakes Pastries Brownies Tortes
- What is the Difference between French Press, Drip and Brewed Coffee