What is the Difference between Self-Esteem Self-Efficacy Self-Confidence Self-Worth Self-Respect Self-Image Self-Concept
A person is very important in a society. A person is the entity, a unit, which plays his role in the development of society. It is very important to respect each and every individual in society. Some terms are commonly used in this regard, like self- Esteem, self- efficacy, self confidence etc. All these have different meaning, and here we are trying to differentiate between these terms.
Self-esteem is usually used to describe the overall evaluation of a person’s own worth. Self –esteem include beliefs and emotions, for instance despair, pride and shame. Self- esteem is defined in both ways, i.e. descriptive and evaluative self related statements.
Self-efficacy corresponds to a person’s belief in his own competence and abilities. Development of self- efficacy is very important as it is a path way to lead a happy and more productive life.
Self assuredness about one’s judgment, abilities and power is called as self confidence. When one will be confident about his abilities, he will be able to apply them in a more efficient and effective way.
When a person respects his own opinion, this aspect is called as self- worth. Self worth is a component of self confidence. When one will give respect to his own opinion, he will be able to build his self confidence in a number of other ways.
When one respects and regards the dignity of his own character, it is called as self respect. Everyone has a different character and personality, so self respect is very important to get a proper place in the society.
Self image is the picture of a person’s mind, which others see. It includes height, weight, hair color, gender etc. Self image has three components, how he sees himself, how other sees him and how he perceives that other see him.
A person’s perception of self, about his characteristics like academic qualifications, gender, race etc, is collectively called as self concept. It is a multi dimensional terms and envelopes many aspects of one’s personality.
Self-Esteem vs Self-Efficacy vs Self-Confidence vs Self-Worth vs Self-Respect vs Self-Image vs Self-Concept
All these terms are very important for an individual. Usually they are used interchangeably, but there is slight difference between them. Self esteem is an evaluative term, while self concept is very general. Self esteem is about judgment of oneself. On the other hand, self efficacy and self respect are part of self concept. Self confidence and self worth are related to one’s abilities, but self esteem is not directly related with abilities. Self image is about appearance; while all others are about abilities and having belief in himself.
- What is the Difference between Volcano, Tremor, Earthquake and Aftershock
- What is the Difference between Wind Waves, Storm Surge, Tsunami and Tidal Wave
- What is the Difference between Turquoise, Aquamarine and Blue Topaz
- What is the Difference between Granite Marble Basalt Diorite Gabbro Rhyolite Quartz Silestone
- What is the Difference between Tornado Watch and Warning
- What is the Difference between Sapphire, Jade, Emerald and Ruby
- What is the Difference between Ice Age Ozone Depletion and Greenhouse Effect
- What is the Difference between Organic and Inorganic Compounds
- What is the Difference between Lava and Magma
- What is the Difference between Bay Stream Lake Gulf River Sea and Ocean